WorkForce West Virginia is the state’s one-stop resource center for workforce development. Our state and local offices are designed to serve not only those looking for work, but also help our business and industry partners find and hire skilled employees ready for the job.
Depending upon your specific workforce needs, we can help you determine the best education or training program, locate viable candidates to participate in training and even arrange on-the-job training for employees. Let’s get started by learning more about workforce training programs available statewide.
As a West Virginia employer, you will need to apply with WorkForce WV and the State Information Data Exchange (SIDES). Please choose an application option below:
- Regular Business: Please complete the Employers Initial Statement.
- Non-Profit Organization: Please complete the Employers Initial Statement and Non-Profit Organization Form
- Government Employer: Please complete the Employers Initial Statement and Reimbursement Form
- SIDES: All employers may register with SIDES
The completed application can be emailed to: email@example.com, which is the preferred method. It can also be mailed or faxed to the Status Determination Unit; information for these methods is provided on the bottom of the application. Once you are registered, you will receive your Employer Account Number.
To apply online with multiple agencies, including WorkForce WV, Secretary of State, and the State Tax Department, please visit business4.wv.gov and fill out the online application through the One Stop Business Portal. Your application will automatically be sent to WorkForce WV.
Regardless of which application method you choose, a new account letter with your certificate of registration will be sent to the email address provided on the form. For inquiries about the status of your Employer Account Number, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FIND QUALIFIED WORKERS
WorkForce West Virginia provides employers with 24/7 access to the state’s largest online database of potential job candidates – the Mid-Atlantic Career Consortium (MACC). Through this portal, employers can post active job listings and receive and review applications.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for in the MACC, WorkForce West Virginia staff members are here to help. Call 1-800-252-JOBS (5627) today.
BUSINESS SERVICES TEAM
WorkForce West Virginia can help connect you with business services in your local community to meet and address a variety of immediate and long-term company needs, including access to available workforce training programs in your local community. We understand it is critical that your employees have the proper education and training required for the job. That’s why the team at WorkForce West Virginia stands ready to help you navigate the education and training process.
On-the-Job Training (OJT) provides unique opportunities for participants to “learn as they earn.” The employer benefits by being reimbursed for part of the participant’s wages during the training period, while having the services of a full-time employee.
FEDERAL BONDING PROGRAM
The Federal Bonding Program (FBP) provides Fidelity Bonds to the employer that guarantee honesty for at-risk hard-to-place, and criminal justice involved job seekers. The bonds cover the first six months of employment. There is no cost to the job applicant or the employer.
This unique hiring incentive tool targets individuals whose backgrounds can pose significant barriers to securing or retaining employment including:
- Justice-involved men, women and youth
- Individuals in recovery from substance abuse
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) recipients
- Individuals with poor credit records
- Economically disadvantaged youth and adults with little or no work histories
- Individuals dishonorably discharged from the military.
Employers receive the bonds free-of-charge as an incentive to hire these applicants. The FBP was designed to reimburse the employer for any loss due to employee theft of money or property up to $10,000 during the first six months of a selected individual’s term of employment.
Accessing the program is easy and accomplished by the employer filling out the online application. Please open the Federal Bond Request Form, download the document, fill in the requested information, and hit the submit button at the bottom. If you have any questions about the Federal Bonding program, please email us at email@example.com or you may call us at 304-558-7024.
This program is 100% federally funded.
At WorkForce West Virginia, our goal is to strengthen West Virginia’s business climate by supporting our state’s strong business partners – from startups to global businesses – and that means connecting you with tax credits that may be available to you to help your business grow and thrive.
WORK OPPORTUNITY TAX CREDIT (WOTC)
The WOTC is a federal tax credit program that offers significant incentives for employers who hire and retain individuals from specific target groups that have previously experienced difficulty in securing employment.
Through this program, employers can:
- Receive tax credits for hiring individuals from targeted groups
- Reduce federal tax liability by as much as $2,400 per new hire during the first year of employment
- Help those most in need to become economically self-sufficient
- Hire as many qualified employees as the payroll will allow
- Reduce recruitment and training costs
- Claim the tax credit with minimal paperwork
- Provide valuable on-the-job experiences to qualified job seekers
How to Apply for the Credit
We try and make the process simple and efficient. To apply for the WOTC, employers must complete two forms:
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 8850: Prescreening Notice and Certification Request
- Employment and Training Administration (ETA) 9061: Individual Characteristics Form
How to Access Required Forms
MILITARY INCENTIVE PROGRAM
A West Virginia State Tax Credit for Employers Who Hire Qualified Veterans
The Military Incentive Program (MIP) Act of 1991 created an employer tax incentive program designed to promote the employment of West Virginia veterans, reservists and National Guard members. Korean conflict and Vietnam era veterans who are economically disadvantaged, and all other disabled veterans are covered by this program. Also, included in the act are unemployed members of the National Guard and Reserves.
Through the creation of this program, West Virginia recognizes that the sacrifices made by the state’s veterans merit their preferential treatment in public and private sectors. By providing tax credits to private-sector employers who employ these veterans, West Virginia publicly recognizes their service to the nation and promotes a preference for hiring in the private sector.
Tax credits are based on a percentage of the first $5,000 in wages paid to the individual after one continuous year of employment. Employers may claim a 30 percent tax credit for hiring economically, disadvantaged Korean conflict and Vietnam era veterans, 25 percent for unemployed members of the Guard and Reserves, or may claim a credit ranging from 10 to 100 percent for disabled veterans. The actual percentage is equal to the percent of service-connected disability compensable by the US Department of Veterans Affairs.
Please call 1-800-252-JOBS for additional information about MIP.
WorkForce West Virginia provides companies with unemployment processing assistance. Employers can register businesses, file quarterly wage reports, make contributions and delinquent payments, and register for electronic submission of separation information.
Online employer services
WorkForce West Virginia provides West Virginia employers with access to an online unemployment compensation employer contribution system. Not familiar with this service? Sign-up today.
The Unemployment Compensation Employer System allows employers to:
- File wage reports and pay unemployment compensation contributions online with ACH debit. Third-Party Administrators can file electronically and pay through ACH credit.
- Pay delinquent contributions online with ACH debit.
- Register for the State Information Data Exchange System (SIDES). SIDES is a new web-based system that allows electronic transmission of unemployment compensation information requests from unemployment agencies to multi-state employers and/or third-party administrators, as well as transmission of replies containing requested information back to the agencies.
- Important reminders
- Users with ACH debit blocks need to contact their financial institution to inform them of a new company identification number: 1556000814. Payments will appear on your bank statements as WV Treasury.
- You will need your Account Number and FEIN to file online.
- When entering your account number, you do not have to enter the zeroes when logging in. Do not enter dashes. If you enter the dashes, you will receive a message that your number is not found.
- FEIN: This is your federal employer identification number. When entering this number, also do not enter dashes.
Employer Compliance Letters
State law mandates employers must be in compliance with the Unemployment Compensation provisions before other government agencies can issue or renew most licenses or permits. Examples include contractor’s licenses, business registration certificates, liquor and lottery retail sales licenses, and timbering permits.
Download a copy of the Unemployment Compliance Benefits Poster which provides information on weekly benefit rates based on wages. The poster is 8 and 1/2 inches by 14 inches landscape orientation.
This program will produce the Unemployment Compensation Wage Report as either a printed report or an acceptable diskette.