Announcements and Events
Three WorkForce West Virginia's Policies Are Open for a Two-Week Comment Period.
WorkForce West Virginia's Policy for Policy Development Is Open for a Two-Week Comment Period.
The 2022 WV Recovery Capital Pop UP is being held Friday, July 29 at BridgeValley’ s Advanced Technology Center (Toyota Hall), located at 1200 Science Park Drive South Charleston, WV 25303. The event is from 2:00 - 4:00 PM. Click here for more information. Find parking information here.
WV Combined State Plan Open Meeting
WV's Workforce Development System held an open meeting on Friday, March 4, 3:00pm–3:30pm (EST).
During the meeting, the planning process for WV's Combined State Plan modification was outlined. The State Plan conveys how WV intends to increase access to, and opportunities for, the employment, education, training, and support services that individuals need to succeed in the labor market, particularly those with barriers to employment; and align economic development strategies to meet the needs of local and regional employers, and provide a comprehensive, accessible, and high-quality workforce development system.
You can review the open meeting presentation via the following link: PDF
The proposed State Plan was made available for public comment within this section-one version without Labor Market Information (LMI) and one with LMI until March 18th, 2022.
WV WIOA Combined State Plan Information
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) requires the Governor of each State to submit a Unified or Combined State Plan that includes a four-year strategy and operational plan for the continuing implementation of the State’s workforce development system, with an update after two years. States must have federally approved State Plans to receive funding under the six core programs [Adult, Dislocated Worker, Youth, Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA), Wagner-Peyser, and the Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) programs].
States must submit plan modifications by March 15, 2022, using an online state plan portal. Once submitted, the Departments (Labor and Education) will review and provide a decision within 90 days for the core programs, as required by section 102(c)(2)(B) and (3)(B) of WIOA.
You can access West Virginia's current State Plan via WV Current State Plan (click here).
A State has two options for submitting a State Plan— a Unified State Plan or a Combined State Plan. At a minimum, a State must submit a Unified State Plan for the core programs. The six core programs are—
- the Adult program (Title I of WIOA), o the Dislocated Worker program (Title I),
- the Youth program (Title I), o the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act program (Title II),
- the Wagner-Peyser Act Employment Service program (authorized under the Wagner-Peyser Act, as amended by title III), and
- the Vocational Rehabilitation program (authorized under Title I of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended by Title IV).
WV is committed to ensuring WIOA is highly responsive to the needs of both businesses and job seekers. The State’s approach to the formulation of 2020's Unified State Plan was one of collaboration and cooperation. WorkForce West Virginia, responsible for the Adult, Dislocated Worker, Youth, and Wagner-Peyser programs, in partnership with the AEFLA and VR programs, developed and submitted a Unified State Plan.
Alternatively, a State may submit a Combined State Plan for WIOA’s core programs plus one or more of the Combined State Plan partner programs. When a State includes a Combined State Plan partner program in its Combined State Plan, it need not submit a separate plan or application for that particular program. If included, Combined State Plan partner programs are subject to the “common planning elements” where specified, as well as the program-specific requirements for that program where such planning requirements exist separately for the program.
For program years 2022 and 2023, the Governor intends for WV to submit its first-ever Combined State Plan. The Combined State Plan partner programs WV has included in their Combined State Plan modification are—
- Career and technical education programs authorized under the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006, as amended by the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act (Perkins V) (20 U.S.C. 2301 et seq.)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program (42 U.S.C. 601 et seq.)]
- Employment and Training programs under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (programs authorized under section 6(d)(4) of the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008 (7 U.S.C. 2015(d)(4)))
- Trade Adjustment Assistance for Workers programs (Activities authorized under chapter 2 of title II of the Trade Act of 1974 (19 U.S.C. 2271 et seq.))
- Jobs for Veterans State Grants Program (programs authorized under 38, U.S.C. 4100 et. seq.)
- Unemployment Insurance programs (programs authorized under State unemployment compensation laws in accordance with applicable Federal law)
- Senior Community Service Employment program (programs authorized under title V of the Older Americans Act of 1965 (42 U.S.C. 3056 et seq.))
One of WIOA’s principal areas of reform was to require States to plan across core programs and include their planning process in the Unified or Combined State Plans. The reform promotes a shared understanding of the workforce needs within each State and fosters development of more comprehensive and integrated approaches, such as career pathways and sector strategies, for addressing the needs of businesses and workers.
February 4, 2022, administrators with optimum policy-making authority for WV’s workforce development system’s core and required partner programs were convened by the Governor's Office for two primary reasons:
- It's time for the WV Unified State Plan's two year modification-due to the Departments of Labor and Education by March 15th, 2022.
- Informed that WV's State Plan type will change from a Unified to a Combined.
The proposed State Plan will be made available on partner program websites for stakeholder and public comment during the week of February 28, 2022-March 4, 2022. The State will make available copies of the proposed State Plan to the public for a period that is no more than 30 days. The modification of the State Plan and its planning process will be made available to the public through electronic and accessible means and by holding an open meeting in accordance with state law prior to the submission of the State Plan. The open meeting's date, time, location, and link to join virtually will be announced on partner program websites.
- WIOA State Plan Portal
- State Plan in the Code of Federal Regulations
- ICR WIOA Unified and Combined State Plan Requirements
- Training and Employment Guidance Letter No. 4-21
- WIOA Combined State Plan Mod Presentation 2022 (PDF)
Request for Proposal (RFP) for the South Western West Virginia Region 2 Workforce Investment Board’s (R2WIB) is searching for a One-Stop System…
Bombardier is currently hiring for Apprentice AVIATION Technicians in Bridgeport, WV. read more...
ANNOUNCEMENT OF APPRENTICESHIP OPPORTUNITIES - INTERNATIONAL UNION OF OPERATING ENGINEERS - LOCAL #132 JATC
WIOA UNIFIED STRATEGIC WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT PLAN
Please click here to access the State Plan.
Aircraft Structures Training Program is a successful 8-week class to prepare individuals for a new career in airframe repair and assembly, in collaboration with local aerospace companies actively hiring entry-level workers.
For assistance, you may contact one of our local offices
Help for Coal Miners
We can help if you’ve been laid off from the mines. There’s federal money for classes and training for you and your spouse. Even your gas is covered. Read more.