For Unemployment Compensation Accounts

State law mandates employers must be in compliance with the Unemployment Compensation provisions before other government agencies can issue or renew most licenses or permits. Examples include contractor’s licenses, business registration certificates, liquor and lottery retail sales licenses, timbering permits.

To receive a certificate of good standing, you must be registered with Unemployment Compensation and your account must be in good standing. All reports previously due must have been filed, and ALL monies due based on those reports, including any interest and/or penalties assessed for paying the taxes late, must have been paid. To receive a Compliance Letter, contact the Compliance and Enforcement Unit by calling 304-558-2451 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., or by emailing